Friday, April 8, 2011

SUPANOVA 2011 - Pop Culture Expo hits BrisVegas

Well for those that don't know (& to bore those that do) I'll briefly recap ;) I reside in a small beachside town called Coolum, and although I love it here on the Sunny Coast in Queensland, being an 'ex' Sydney girl, I vividly recall the bright lights, the dynamic night scene, the hip & happening citylife, galleries, independent boutiques & corner cafes open 24/7, theatre, thumping music, live bands & the excitement of 'hitting the town'... 
That really hasn't got anything to do with last weekends trip to Brisbane... BrisVegas (as it's affectionately called) is not anything like Sydney (although it does have a very scaled down Chinatown), and in Australia where people with red hair are called 'Blue', Brisbane was nicknamed 'BrisVegas' years ago because it had nothing in common with Las Vegas, Sydney, New York or any of those melting pots of bright lights & frenzied activities... 
Actually, that may be why I love Brisbane... 
We stayed in a tiny 2 bedroom cottage that was in the city & a short walk to the Brissy Showgrounds (our main destination) A contemporary, clean, enthused, town, it has grown in spite of it's past history of being a 'hick' destination with petrol stations closed on weekends & pubs at midnight, & last weekend it was host to SUPANOVA! A mecca for scifi/fantasy/anime geeks & nerds, detaching ourselves from trusty PC's & Macs for a weekend of chat with actors/authors/artists/creators/directors etc, Cosplay (that's dress-up) films premieres, live wrestling, latest gameware, 'Malfoy' (Tom Felton) from Harry Potter was one of the main celebs (see below, without his white blond hair), as well as previous Dr Who's, actors from Avatar, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, stuntmen & so on... I loved chatting to the artists & writers best ;) Figures huh? A lot of people came up to the girls & asked to have their photo taken with them... Memphis went as 'Saber' from the Japanese graphic novel and anime series Fate/stay night (the whole weekend) & Trinity went as 'Tank Girl' from the cult comic/film Sat, & Sunday borrowed a friends 'Wonder Woman' outfit...they looked super & had a ball... 
There was a sea of characters, adorable Trekkies, Star Wars, Aliens & Predator dudes from all over the galaxy, even oldies like Robot from Lost In Space (Billy Mummy where were you?) Final Fantasy, Bleach & I'm a fan of 'Soul Eater' the Japanese Anime and my fav 2-D character was there, I felt as high as a schoolgirl with a crush... You know what, I think it was better than Vegas ;)
Anyway, kept you long enough! Hope you enjoy the visual tapa selection presented here & thanks for dropping by, if you leave a comment I'd love to know your fav characters from scifi/fantasy/comic or anime if you have one :) Until next time, keep smiling :)

16 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

How absolutely cool! You are making me long for New York Comic Con 2011. My Piano Man already got our tickets, but it is not until October. I hope I can see a Lost in Space Robot; that would fanta-bulous!

Sunshineshelle said...

Magaly, you & your Piano Man should start planing your cosplay outfits now
http://souleater.wikia.com/wiki/Blair
Soul Eater has a really cute cat/witch called Blair... you need to dye your hair purple though ;) & there's an assortment of major cool males in it for Piano Man!!! How exciting... I bet the New York Comic Con may be just a tad bigger than ours LOL!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

What a blast you must have had! While I am not up on all the latest sci-fi & anime stars, I certainly would have loved to meet the robot. Oh just to hear him say...."Danger, Will Robinson!"

Thank you, Shelle for the very kind feature of my roses on your blog!

Magic Love Crow said...

Shelle, I am so jealous! It looks like you guys had so much fun! Trinity and Memphis looked great! And, I really enjoyed all the pictures! I don't know what my favourite character would be? The lost in space robot would be cool to see ;o) Have a great one and thanks for sharing all this with us ;o) Debbie's flowers look great!

Sunshineshelle said...

It was amazing, and everyone was so light hearted... the staff were mostly volunteers, cool scifi fans that get free entry & to meet the stars etc behind the scenes, so they were all happy too, and just conversations in general, snippets of groups talking about if the 'Stargate' could really possibly work or who was the best 'Doctor Who' was, or commiserating the final Chapters of Harry Potter because readers & movie goers still want more... I loved the chatter, colour & bubbly excitement of the crowd that celebrated all things 'pop culture' at Supanova, and it was family fun to enjoy :) Thanks Debbie & Stacy for your comments, maybe keep your eye open for one near you ;) It's so funny, around here most local conversations consist of wave height & surfing conditions LOL No wonder I chat so much on my trusty Mac ;)

Sunshineshelle said...

After all that I forgot to say
PS Debbie my pleasure, they are beautiful :) and yes they are so lovely Stacy, the rose colours are translucent and I love my flower pen, it's my new fav & right here ready to take (untyped) notes :)

Marlene said...

Looks like a really fun event to have been at. The pictures are great and the costumes were so well done. Glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Now that looks like a fabulous time! I love to dress in costumes and be around people in character.

Joe Madl said...

looks like a lot of fun was had by all! don't see such spectacles in the back country that is montana! will have to scout out something in neighboring states...bet there'd be some fun in denver or down in vegas!

meanwhile, one of my all time favorite comics is the sandman. i especially enjoyed the series when mike grell was illustrating it!

Sunshineshelle said...

Thanks Marlene, kids keep you young... & exhausted LOL!! Mina, dressing up is heaps fun, I just went in my basic black, but bought some 'fake' tattoo arm sleeves, for fun... but next year... my girls insist I get dressed in a character of 'their' choice, should be interesting! Joe - SANDMAN!!!!!! The all time best ever graphic novel (s), the art still inspires me... actually my hubby borrowed the graphic novel 'Neverwhere' from the library last week for me, based on Neil Gaiman's novel which I read a while ago... I'm a big fan. Fables is a pretty cool collection we're enjoying now too, you check it out if Denver & Vegas trips are a way off ;) Thanks for your comments guys, enjoy the weekend :)

So Dark So Cute said...

Wow! You sure had a great time! I also like this very much! btw, Dorothy came to me a few days ago! You make wonderful drawings Shelle, i love her! xoxo Donna

Sunshineshelle said...

Thanks, we did have heaps of fun & still wading through the graphic novels we bought... Pleased Dorothy made it to her new home ;)

Jenny said...

SupaNova sounds awesome Shelle.... love all the pics and color... Brissie sure is a beautiful place... I love it too :)))

Have a happy week...
Hugs
Jenny x

Sunshineshelle said...

Thanks Jenny for dropping by, actually you mad a good point about the colour, I don't think I saw beige the whole weekend LOL!!

Annie Jeffries said...

Fun stuff everywhere. I love these events.

The vintage McD's you saw at my blog is a reproduction. McD's has been putting up lots of vintage theme exteriors lately. Ceres, a town right up the road from me, has one that is reminiscent of the 1950's diner. I like that one but haven't photographed it. I'll have to make a point of doing that when I'm out and about. I think you will enjoy seeing that one too.

Deebags of Holding said...

Hello, I just noticed your article about Supanova and that you were living on the Sunny Coast! It was very random that I came across it! I just wanted to tell you that myself and my business partners will be hosting the first ever pop culture expo on the Sunshine Coast this year in September!! It will be similar to Supanova but with a heap of more hands on activities! You can find more info about us at www.facebook.com/EpicDiem
The expo will be at the USC Sports precinct on the 21st of September.